5 WAYS TO BATTLE CHRISTMAS BUSYNESS
UNHURRY HACK: Busyness is a sneaky attack of the enemy, and especially when our routines are altered, it can be hard to make time to rest in God’s presence each day, enjoy Him, and drink in His Word.
FIRST READ: John chapter 1
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14 (ESV)
How do you prepare for Christmas? In this season of Advent, it can be easy to let our focus get carried away with activity, traditions, and retail. And while celebration and gift giving are wonderful, it is good to pause for a moment each day and do a quick heart-check. Going forward in this busy Christmas season, it is good to ask ourselves each day, “who am I preparing for today?”
The word “advent” comes from a Latin word that means “coming.” We celebrate Christmas because Jesus came into the world--"the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.” And, the story doesn’t end when we take down the Christmas decorations-- “we have seen his glory!” Christmas reminds us not only to celebrate that Jesus came into the world as our Savior, but also reminds us to live daily preparing for His return as King. The story isn’t over yet!
In John 15:4, Jesus invites us to abide in Him--do we dwell in His presence each day? That is our key to enjoying a growing relationship with God. Our Lord wants to spend time with us and teaches us daily through the gift of God’s Holy Spirit who indwells each believer (John 14:26). As a disciple of Christ we grow to be more like Jesus as we daily walk with Him. As a disciple maker, we can then tell others of His grace and truth and teach them how to walk with Jesus.
Busyness is a sneaky attack of the enemy, and especially when our routines are altered, it can be hard to make time to rest in God’s presence each day, enjoy Him, and drink in His Word. And, without time in prayer and in God’s Word, precious opportunities to speak the Gospel message can get lost in the hustle and bustle of Christmas activity. In the midst of Christmas celebration, we can blur right past Christ.
This year try these 5 ways to seek Christ in the midst of Christmas busyness:
1. Do a heart-check each morning, ask yourself “who am I preparing for today?”
2. If you travel, pack your Bible-Bible apps are great, but seeing a Bible in your suitcase, is a great reminder to spend time with God.
3. Plan for distraction-intentions are good, but intentionality wins! just as you would pack the clothing and toiletries you will need, plan out your days with God, mark a passage or verse for each day to read and have an intentional strategy to walk with God when you are out of your normal routine.
4. Engage others-start up a conversation about what you read in God’s Word that day, pray together, and talk about the reason we celebrate Christmas.
5. Don’t over plan the day-down time is good for reflection, thankfulness, and enjoying quality time connecting with others.
Join me in prayer today:
Dear Lord, help me to battle busyness this Christmas season. In all of the festivities, let me not forget You are the one I am preparing to celebrate. Remind me to stop and spend time with you each day, and share the love and hope I have in you with others. In Jesus Name, Amen.